Help with the Spitfire

For the posting of tutorials, videos and any other cool stuff
Florida

Help with the Spitfire

Post by Florida »

Hey, guys! I'm still in the lurking stage here...want to join y'all but can't seem to get the kinks out! I was really impressed with the Spitfire, although I fly the P-51, so I thought I'd buy and learn it. Not too worried about flying it, but I can't even get the plane to the runway. I know about the peculiarities of taxiing, and I've watched several videos about it, but all I can do is pivot in circles.

I know that most of you are proficient in it, so I'm asking for personal preferences. I have the X-56 with the wheel brakes on the stick (lower pinky switch), but I can't seem to control the taxi, no matter what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: Help with the Spitfire

Post by Admin (Philstyle) »

Assign to brakes to a slider, not a switch.
Having them on a wicth means theyre either "on" or "off".This isn'thow the spitfires brakes work. You need to be able to apply small amounts of brake in order to effectively steer on the ground.

312_JS
SoW Supporter

Post by 312_JS »

I'm actually using my trigger for brakes and it works too, because they are applied gradually in game. I'm just lightly tapping the trigger and using the rudder to steer.
When there is no airflow around the rudder, it's ineffective, so you need to use a combination of brakes and rudder, which will then apply the brakes only to the corresponding wheel.
Make sure your RPM is fully forward too.

Ateball

Post by Ateball »

In addition to what is mentioned from the other posters and since I think it is unclear in the manual.

Keep an eye on the brake pressure gauge at the bottom left side of the panel, it is the three dial gauge.
The two needles pointing down is the left and right brake pressure. A brake neutral pressure of around 3 is usually
good for taxiing. Can't remember if the scale is in 10s of lb/in^2, however one notch below the 4 :)
Too much above and you need to run the engine hard and risk a propeller strike too low and the a/c is very difficult to control.

Florida

Post by Florida »

I'm trying everything, with mixed results. I tried putting the brakes on a rotary on my throttle so I can set the brakes in a position and leave them there while I steer. It works somewhat, but I really need a lot of throttle to get moving. I also put the brakes on my pinky, which is gradual, not on-off, and that seems to work, too. But I just can't seem to get the right rhythm!

I guess I'll just have to practice more. I also got the plane in the air, and it's a handful. May have to put some curve in the stick. I actually did land it - rough but for the first time, it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the help. I hope to be able to try on the server soon.

Ateball

Post by Ateball »

Sorry to hear that you are struggling.
The spit is a handful on the ground and I still sometimes do mistakes when taxiing, in particular if I need to scramble.
Keep practicing. If I am allowed to guess on your issue, and based on my
own experience, you are probably doing too large brake maneuvers and probably over-compensating. Maybe try to
slow down but have enough power so that you keep rolling and do small turns a few degrees left and right, keep the stick fully back at all times. When taxiing you need to run the engine fairly hard to overcome brake force.

In the air the Spit is really nice and easy to fly but as all aircraft you need to trim trim trim. From this perspective I don't find her so much different than the P51 and she should be easy to fly.

I'm running with stick, throttle and pedals and currently have a little bit of curve on my axis. I don't think it does very much for the ground handling.

/Ateball

Return to “Intelligence Department”