Storm of War Teamspeak

Returning the SoW server to EVENTS based

IMPORTANT NOTICES REGARDING SERVER

Returning the SoW server to EVENTS based

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:22 am

Hi all,

Recently a few of the various squads and groups have been running specific DCS events, i.e.:
1. 362 Sqn running WW2 events on friday nights
2. EAF running modern events on Monday evenings

This format seems to be working well and helps people plan their gaming/real life better, IMO.

I am thinking of switching off the 24/7 server, and only running it on SUNDAY EVENINGS (EU/UK time), with, primarily, WW2 missions - these to be run as weekly events.

Doing this also means I can consider building Dispersals that are specific to the different squadrons and single players who are regulars.
Finally, it also increases the chances of having people do TOPHAT tyoe duties, if it is a set time, once per week.

Is there an interest/ appetite for this, and specifcally for flying on SUNDAY NIGHTS?
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: Returning the SoW server to EVENTS based

Postby No.54 Kennedyoz (KL-K) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:51 am

I think it's a good idea. More focussed. Except that unfortunately i can't do Monday mornings.
No.54 Kennedyoz (KL-K)

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Seems a good idea to me if it brings people together, hopefully it can build interest in the WW2 side of things and set up a more established community.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:51 pm

We've actually been meant to be doing WW2 on Monday nights, at 51's request. Last night was a bit of a one off (for the time being), but it was a very enjoyable one off! We'd like to do more of it and keep developing it. I'd be happy to try and support you guys with this rather than keep making efforts in different directions.

Most of our modern flying covers four aircraft:
  • Harrier
  • Hornet
  • Tomcat
  • Viggen
One or two of us have more, but they're the focus. If we had access to a server with a rotation of missions that included those aircraft and human opposition we'd be happy campers. 51 are very definitely going down the DCS WW2 route, but one or two have looked at some jet action.

Doing this also means I can consider building Dispersals that are specific to the different squadrons and single players who are regulars.

This would be great for modern stuff as well. If we can have people with Combined Arms happy to act as a JTAC as well it would be very cool. Maybe not driving around and blowing stuff up, just designating targets and talking people on.

Maybe there could be a WW2 SoW for one evening and a Modern SoW on another? I have to say I've lost most of my interest in the WW2 side of things, but our mission last night brought back memories of SoW in Cliffs.
Last edited by EAF79_OD_ on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby No.54 FatBen (KL-F) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Sounds good to me
No.54 FatBen (KL-F)
SoW Supporter

Postby Campbell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:55 pm

I think it’s a great idea, it’s far better knowing when players will actually be flying verse trying to catch flyers in passing. Also it keeps the mission freash as well as the immersion factor with more populated missions.
Campbell

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:We've actually been meant to be doing WW2 on Monday nights, at 51's request. Last night was a bit of a one off (for the time being), but it was a very enjoyable one off! We'd like to do more of it and keep developing it. I'd be happy to try and support you guys with this rather than keep making efforts in different directions.

Maybe there could be a WW2 SoW for one evening and a Modern SoW on another? I have to say I've lost most of my interest in the WW2 side of things, but our mission last night brought back memories of SoW in Cliffs.

OD, if you would like the SoW server to run "EAF" missions (whether modern or WW2) on Monday nights, I am happy to oblige, provided I recieve the mission file in sufficent time beforehand.
Alternatively, if you want to host from your own server, we can make sure SoW server is off on Mondays and we can use the forums here to direct people to server.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Do you have a template map or anything so that there is some consistency of locations/targets etc?
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby No.54 FatBen (KL-F) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Adding to this, the events are far more enjoyable than scratching around for a decent mission among the available servers when going online.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried to join cold war for instance, and had no a2a weapons or no harriers, and probably 50% of my time now is flying boring missions in single player.
No.54 FatBen (KL-F)
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:28 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:Do you have a template map or anything so that there is some consistency of locations/targets etc?

No I don't have a template, only a mission file with shit loads of scripts and blah blah blah embedded in it.

I suggest not replicating the mission formats. But rather I think it's better I think if each event-series has its own flavour.
This will keep each different night fresh.

The only things I would suggest standardising are:
1. Use No labels, or labels mods
2. Use No modded assets (no aircraft, ground units, skins or texture packs)
3. Use the same difficulty settings each time to avoid confusion

The only exception maybe to the above would be to use the A4 mod (if desoreed for an event) . . but we'd have to make sure that everyone joining the server also ahd the mod, in the right version. This can be painful.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Next

Return to Server Notices