Storm of War Teamspeak

more on contact spotting in DCS...

more on contact spotting in DCS...

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: more on contact spotting in DCS...

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Incidentally, I have a couple of the "sharpening" options turned on in Reshade, which might also explain why visibility of contacts if good for me.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Bearing in mind your results from the previous spotting videos, what do you think I should do? I very rarely spot contacts before anyone else and I usually have to zoom in to max FOV zoom to see things others are seeing without doing so. I'm playing at 4k (3840 x 2160). Should I just reduce the res? I'm using a bit 48" Samsung as my 'monitor'.

I'll try playing around with some of the rendering options, but it's really starting to make playing DCS super frustrating :(
No.401_Wolverine

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 am

No.401_Wolverine wrote:Bearing in mind your results from the previous spotting videos, what do you think I should do? I very rarely spot contacts before anyone else and I usually have to zoom in to max FOV zoom to see things others are seeing without doing so. I'm playing at 4k (3840 x 2160). Should I just reduce the res? I'm using a bit 48" Samsung as my 'monitor'.
I'll try playing around with some of the rendering options, but it's really starting to make playing DCS super frustrating :(

Joker (who has a 40+ in UHD TV, similar to yours) and I have been looking at this very thing over the past few days, so maybe our findings will be of help to you.
Joker has played on 1080p for quite some time, and we found that he was able to spot B17s at around 35km, and Single Engine fighters at around 20km. This was about 25% further out than I could spot them on my 27-inch monitor in 1440p.
Last night Joker switched to 4k Resolution, and his ability to spot a single engine fighter went down to around 10 to 12 km.

So, the first thing I'd suggest, is to lower resolution down to 1440p. DCS still looks amazing at 1440p.

Secondly, make sure you turn off SMAA / other Anti-aliasing. At higher resolutions the AA is not needed, and what's more, it will attempt to smooth out individual pixels, which will make dot spotting harder. You'll also gain from frame rates from doing this.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Return to DCS - Main Discussion