Storm of War Teamspeak

flying Circus is out . . . partially

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

flying Circus is out . . . partially

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:39 am

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: flying Circus is out . . . partially

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am

Can't wait to get the SPAD and relive the experience of not being able to see anything outside the cockpit, in all new virtual reality! :lol:

Should make trying to find the randomly placed cockpit dials a bit easier I suppose.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks Phil for posting up a first-look of FCv1. It is interesting to see the BoX version of RoF. No doubt the VR-fans* will enjoy the intricate cockpits. Although the aircraft still look the same, the landscapes definitely look much better. The flight looks a bit more on rails (esp. that landing), but it is early days yet of course. I really do hope they bring FCv1 up to the level of RoF. As much as I love RoF, it is a dwindling community, and the mission editor doesn't work on Windows 8 or 10, which is really restrictive.

* Incidentally, I had a chance to use VR for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Not impressed. I'll definitely be waiting for 2nd-gen VR before contemplating any purchases.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:02 am

Looks good. Didn't fly RoF so nothing to compare it to except OFF and it looks much better graphically. Will have to see how those in the know get on with it.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:09 am

I'm trying to decide which to go for, Flying Circus or Tanks. Can't really justify both, DCS takes up too much of my time (and funds). I didn't think they'd be quite as expensive, but I shouldn't have been surprised. Maybe I'll wait for them to be on sale next year sometime! Never tried a WW1 sim, closest thing was the Gladiator in IL2 1946.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:36 am

RoF is the only WW1 flight sim I've flown and I have no where near gotten my moneys worth from it.

This presents very similar and looks fun to fly. Sounds wise, it seems similar also and overall, I had the feeling, given I have RoF, that the value proposition of FlyCircus is not there (in my case).

Fact is I don't and likely won't fly it enough in any case.

Dietrich's feedback certainly answers some of that re: mission editor issues and popularity re: RoF I guess. I only ever played this on SP though.

To Dietrich's VR point, I share your judgement 100%.
A true version 2 ( significant evolution in the tech I mean) is a ways out still it seems.
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am

I don't think I'd bother with it if not for the VR addition, as otherwise it seems exactly the same as Rise of Flight, but with fewer aircraft (which is either a statement on how accurate RoF was to begin with, or how lazy the developers are that they didn't change anything :lol: ).

It's worth noting that previous RoF buyers get a discount code for buying Flying Circus if they log in to their Rise of Flight account:

If you spent between $0.01 and $70.99 you will receive an additional $5 OFF.
If you spent between $71.00 and $200.99 you will receive an additional $10 OFF.
If you spent greater than $201.00 you will receive an additional $15 OFF.

But the discount period ends on the 15th of September.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 pm

At the moment, there are more aircraft in the free version of RoF, than in FCv1. :)

The base RoF sim (free!) comes with 3 aircraft (SPAD XIII, Albatros D.V and Nieuport 17RUS). The first two are competitive, so it is not as if you are getting just trainers either. Quick missions and the SP campaign are good fun; there's 20+ hours of gameplay there at least, even without much of an MP scene or mission editor.

The full version of RoF, however, has a LOT of content. Some 30 aircraft of great variety, as well as a good single-player campaign, and lots of good mechanisms (artillery spotting, photo recon, seaplanes(!), etc.) which simply don't exist in the current IL2 iteration. The current BoX engine is more complex than the RoF engine, which means fewer objects/aircraft. With the exception of the graphics, which look a bit better in FCv1, it is going to be a long time (think Star-Citizen-Long) before the FC series catches up with RoF. :?
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 am

Just seen that the FC developers are Yugra Media. Isn't that who made the DCS Normandy map?
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Just seen that the FC developers are Yugra Media. Isn't that who made the DCS Normandy map?

Yes, the same . . . wow...

Cat -> Pigeons : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php? ... ost3582580
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series