Storm of War Teamspeak

New video of BoX aircraft coming soon

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Re: New video of BoX aircraft coming soon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I think Finnish has a great all round experience, but I too am getting bored of flying the same map and repeating the same thing over and over. Thankfully, DCS released the Harrier and this solved the problem! :lol: Now I go back to BoX once in a while and fly on Finnish and I can enjoy it, the rest of the time I am learning new stuff and flying precision strikes in the dark!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby StG77_CountZero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:39 pm

coconout also has some ai so its never boring, but whats good in BoX online is you have such a big options of servers for everyones need, with people on them all time, if only devs would fix net and server problems you would have even more people on servers. BoX has planty of smart mission builders and server hosts but they are limited to what bad game alows them to do, to bad 777 has no plan of helping them in near future, probably the best would be for each server host to have 2-3 of same server running with only 30-40 slots max and then all would be ok in box with no warping.

Clod could handle big number people on server that box cant, but checking just now there is around 90ppl playing clod online and 350 BoX, you can brag that your servers can handle 100+ppl but whats the point when there is not so many people interested in clod anymore. On the other hand BoX is badly need in dserver fixes and servers are overpopulated but devs dont care lol
StG77_CountZero

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I've been toying with a campaign for BoX. But at the moment it is simply not possible because:

a) dserver inefficiency and stability issues
b) netcode problems
c) inadequate logging (preventing bomber/recon/transport statistics)
d) no recon mechanism

Well, in principle these things might get fixed. However, the current thinking in BoX is the development of the co-op mode. In other words: more focused missions for small groups of aircraft.

One other nice-to-have would be:

e) an allied transport (Li-2).
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:33 pm

The good news is that as soon as the Po-2 is released those designers are due to start work on the LI-2. Furthermore, 1C stated that they wanted to add functionality to allow the Po-2 to direct Arty. Directing artilley is not quite the same as recon but I hope that it is close enough that 1C add recon to the logs so the stats systems can pick it up.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:25 am

56RAF_Roblex wrote:The good news is that as soon as the Po-2 is released those designers are due to start work on the LI-2. Furthermore, 1C stated that they wanted to add functionality to allow the Po-2 to direct Arty. Directing artilley is not quite the same as recon but I hope that it is close enough that 1C add recon to the logs so the stats systems can pick it up.

I hope so.

In RoF, the artillery spotting (and recon too for that matter) were a bit unreliable at times, but at least the concept was there.

All that is needed, however, is an way for a pilot to mark an event. If you can inject "date time pilot location" into the server log, when a pilot presses a button or uses a menu (think SoW TAB-4-3), then the rest can be handled in server side stats or the choice of aircraft/loadout (in the way the LW used unarmed twin-engined aircraft in SoW for recon).

Regarding the Li-2. Yes, that would be perfect. It could be skinned as a C-47 for the western forces too. I'm guessing it will be a while though. The Po-2 project has been on-going for years now, with no sign of a release.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Barone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

StG77_CountZero wrote:probably the best would be for each server host to have 2-3 of same server running with only 30-40 slots max and then all would be ok in box with no warping.

I have to admit that I never experience lag on Box.
The game is good but it has some big neg points. From my point of view:
1. Visibility and ID. Apart from the painful 10km bubble, all aircraft looks grey at mid distances making ID very hard. Also, tracer colour is the same for every team. That's also something that doesn't help ID.
2. Some FM and CEM still need works. How it's possible that I can fight in a yak with max rpm and rads closed for minutes while on other planes like P40 or 109 you blow your engine if you just go 1 sec over limits? Also why on some planes you constantly need to have 90% of rudder to keep the ball centred in level flight?
3. Some effects are too much Hollywood style.
4. No modding.

But they improved a lot in the last year. If they can still keep the pace, box can become a very good sim.
Click on the banner to visit our site:
Barone

Postby StG77_CountZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:11 pm

yes cem on some airplanes is crazy, i could do 3-4min full closed rads on lagg or yak :) and on f4 u burn engn in 1min on boost

i have my gamma at 0.7 so i tought its dark because of that dont even remenber how game looks on 1.0, but i got used to id planes by wing shape and angles, i remenber they are making some gamma changes for patch 3 so who knows how that will look then

mods on will need to wait last they said its delayed because guy working on them got sick, how 777 talks they peobably have only 3-4 guys working on game, one gets sick or merried and whole game is delayed by a year :)

i agree also on effects, they are just to mutch
StG77_CountZero

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

StG77_CountZero wrote:yes cem on some airplanes is crazy, i could do 3-4min full closed rads on lagg or yak :) and on f4 u burn engn in 1min on boost

I wouldn't use the term "cem" with BoX. :P

Barone wrote:Also why on some planes you constantly need to have 90% of rudder to keep the ball centred in level flight?

Hehe... indeed. Best performance on the Ju 52 is full nose down trim. Rudder trim makes no difference whatsoever. :?

But it's still an okay game though. And it is constantly improving, which is encouraging.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I dont have the same issues as you.

The real life Yak was deliberately designed to be harder to overheat. The P40 & Spit were not. It is just a difference in approaches between Russian and UK/US designers and the Germans took a third route. I have not had an engine issue with the F4 though I agree the P40 seems much too sensitive. The Yaks engine is not as foolproof as you imply. Last night I was flying a Yak-1b and despite having rpm at 90% the whole time and my rads set no lower than 35% I still had to throttle right back and open them to 50% or higher a few times and this was on a Winter map.

I have never flown a plane that needed 90% rudder to fly straight. Which one is that? I did have a problem with the wing dropping badly when I first tried the 190 but next time the problem had gone so I think it was my joystick being out of whack. Perhaps it was being held off centre when I started the game?

I see colours at mid range and don't use any special graphics settings. Red & Yellow are particularly clear and a light grey skin shows up very clearly against the ground or runway from a long way up.

There most certainly *is* a difference in tracer colour. Russians have a red tint and Axis have a yellow tint though aat extreme range it is hard to see. Combined with your inability to see skin colours I think you may have a graphics or gamma issue.

Yes the 9K limit is too close though a lot of the time I don't find it a problem. Once they get inside 9K they are very visible and I prefer it to CloD and definitely prefer it to DCS which is terrible. In CLoD they still have strange issues with how the aircraft is rendered at different ranges and you still see aircraft vanishing at the transition point. It seems a lot smoother in BoX. The 9K limit *is* a big issue for high-alt level bombing of course.

I wont comment on OTT effects as both CLoD and DCS have what appear to be OTT effects as well, just different ones.

No modding? There are obviously reasons for why many companies don't like allowing mods and 1C is obviously not alone in this. I thought for a long time that the WoL server was stupid to disallow custom skins until I saw a video showing how a custom skin can make your nose invisible thus making those blind deflection shots much more accurate.

I do agree there are issues that need addressing and some are quite bad but with 1C I feel we are being listened to and the team are doing what they can and keeping us in the loop. With TF & DCS you will rarely get any acknowledgement that they agree something needs fixing and even when they do agree you rarely get any acknowledgement that they are doing any work towards fixing it. With the 9K limit issue Jason has acknowledged it is less than optimal but has also been honest enough to say they have been trying to increase it but are finding it hard. I just feel more confident that BoX is a constantly improving product while DCS is at the other end of the scale. I am not sure they care about the issues or even about delivering the things they promised when they took our money. I feel cheated. I feel they are saying 'Nah Nah! You were stupid to pay up front without a written guarantee. Why should we do anything when we already have your money and can work on something else that will get us even more money?'
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Barone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Bf109g2 (tried in all most common server) for example need tons of rudder in level flight to keep ball centred.
I understand torque but that's imho is a bit exaggerated.

Sure you can see a whole red flashy plane. But if they are grey or dark green they almost look the same at a certain distance. Also the red star sometimes doesn't render properly and since you can't see the red it's almost useless as an ID sign.

Never see any difference in tracer but if you say that lw one is more yellow and Soviet are redder I'll try to notice it next time.

About modding. Don't think about modding as skin and individual stuff.
Think about what games like old il246 or the silent hunter series had become with modding.
Big packs with maps, new planes corrections etc... That's modding.
Click on the banner to visit our site:
Barone

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series