Storm of War Teamspeak

IL-2:BoX future plans announcement 17-Nov-2017

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Re: IL-2:BoX future plans announcement 17-Nov-2017

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:59 pm

If nothing else, a working co-op mode would encourage more and more people to get comfortable with the mission editor.

I was building co-op IL-2 missions for far longer than i was making multiplayer and campaign missions/maps. It's the best way to cut your teeth on something like that.

Honestly, I would still be building for and playing Cliffs of Dover RIGHT NOW if it had working AI, working ground units, and working AI skill settings. CO-OP is what allows smaller groups to grow into larger ones. It allows people to play and practice together as a group before taking on the scary MP scene against living opposition. A lot of people just don't want to face another human on the other side because they either feel they're not good enough, or just don't want that level of conflict real or imagined.

I feel the big multiplayer online crowd are the squeakiest wheel most of the time. They have a big presence online by necessity and have pushed hard for their agenda. I truly believe that this is partly why CloD is basically an online only game at this point. Look at what is being added via 4.5 / 5.0. It basically amounts to more toys for multiplayer. There's been lip service to improving the single player side of it, but I haven't seen anything to date that shows it's being improved. I'm sure people will argue that adding a Beaufighter or making explosions brighter, or making flak look better or fixing trees are all things that will improve singleplayer, but honestly it's just more and more lipstick on the pig designed to appease online multiplayer concerns. To me it sometimes feels like they're just making changes to things that they know they can change (did we really need or even want new ground explosions for aircraft??).

I'd say AI aircraft and ground units and ships make up at least a full 3rd of what a game has to offer, probably more. We've been cajoled and pushed to believe that these elements are not necessary anymore (look at all the multiplayer only games out there now), but all that's done is cheapen the experience and make us accept less for more.

Sorry. Got off topic there. I'm excited to fly a Tempest again as well. Fingers crossed for a Mosquito at some point.
No.401_Wolverine

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Good post Wolverine.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby StG77_CountZero » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 am

From what has said coop in BoX will be just copy/paste of whats in RoF, and last time i played that it was nothing like Il-2 46 coop, its just DF with some more options , but you could not ocupai existing AI slots, so AI do their thing and you spawn in bases, insted being able to fly with AI like in SP mission, and control them like they are your flight and so on... and they have to have some kined of lobby where you can chat and see whos hosting what and join like in 46, i dont belive they understand importance of it with coop mode.
StG77_CountZero

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:53 am

That's a great summary, Wolverine. Nailed it on every single point.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

StG77_CountZero wrote:From what has said coop in BoX will be just copy/paste of whats in RoF, and last time i played that it was nothing like Il-2 46 coop, its just DF with some more options , but you could not ocupai existing AI slots, so AI do their thing and you spawn in bases, insted being able to fly with AI like in SP mission, and control them like they are your flight and so on... and they have to have some kined of lobby where you can chat and see whos hosting what and join like in 46, i dont belive they understand importance of it with coop mode.

If this is truly the case and they haven't spent some serious effort in making a good co-op experience that satisfies content creators as much as it does players, then it will be very disappointing.
No.401_Wolverine

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm

StG77_CountZero wrote:Reson for not having Spit XIV is that Spit IX is so similar to Spit V they have now in BoK, so its easyer for them to make IX insted XIVs

I had been going back at the Q&A and found the exact quote from Jason Williams regarding the Spit XIV, in case anyone wants to listen to it... https://youtu.be/fEPu1c-tHLY?t=1h38m27s
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Previous

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series