Storm of War Teamspeak

Diary Of A hopeless Pilot Officer moves to Russia

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Diary Of A hopeless Pilot Officer moves to Russia

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm

I have not done any diary entries for over a year but after two fun missions in the Finnish Server last night that had been saved as tracks I decided to do a couple of diary entries from Russia :-)

Attacking tanks
https://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/25683.html

Airfield Attack.
https://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/25874.html
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Re: Diary Of A hopeless Pilot Officer moves to Russia

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 am

Hehe cool.

I've yet to see you chaps on Finnish Virtual, but it is just a matter of time, I guess. :)
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF19_Swoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40 am

Nice Roblex and thanks for sharing.

I really like the roles you can take on in there and actually having an impact on the frontline. Last night we helped destroy a tank base, a factory and capture an airfield which was all new to me. All of these attacks were assisting our tanks and I actually flew more in the Pe2 than my Spit. Its quite addictive really! I even like that if you get nailed, you can jump in the gunner seat of one of your mates and still be involved in the mission.

Loving the Pe2, reminds me of a mossie and bloody quick.
EAF19_Swoop
SoW Supporter

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 am

EAF19_Swoop wrote:Nice Roblex and thanks for sharing.

I even like that if you get nailed, you can jump in the gunner seat of one of your mates and still be involved in the mission.

Loving the Pe2, reminds me of a mossie and bloody quick.

Yes it is nice to have the option to gun instead of having to sit and wait for the rest of the squad to come home. Make sure you can gun though, especially in the PE2 which has a reputation for having very (probably 'inhumanly') accurate AI gunners so you wont be doing the pilot any favours :-) Boots demise returning from that airfield strike was due to a certain human gunner taking offence at a bored Boot firing some shots over his head and responding by putting a bullet between his eyes :-) I had to tuck my IL2 under Phoenix for the remainder of the flight to stop Boot, now in Phoenix's rear seat from trying to return the favour...and it was me that lost points for shooting a friendly!

Dietrich, we fly BoX every Wednesday from 20:00 and usually in the Finish server. Of course many of us fly unofficially other days as well but Sundays are reserved for DCS.
56sqn US@R
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am

56RAF_Roblex wrote:Dietrich, we fly BoX every Wednesday from 20:00 and usually in the Finish server. Of course many of us fly unofficially other days as well but Sundays are reserved for DCS.

Okay, thanks.

If I'm online flying BoX, then it's always the Finnish server, as it has the best objectives and dynamics. I'm online a few nights a week, but it is increasing more and more these days. Probably will be online on the weekends a bit too. I'm also getting back into DCS. Thursday / Sunday is when No.54 fly DCS, so when I'm operational, I'll be matching them.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:09 am

Finnish Vitrual Pilots certainly seems like the place to be 8-)
If only it had the Kuban map navigation might get a lot easier! It would be good to get something big organised every so often so that we can have some big old SoW type action, just on the Eastern Front!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:38 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:Finnish Vitrual Pilots certainly seems like the place to be 8-)
If only it had the Kuban map navigation might get a lot easier! It would be good to get something big organised every so often so that we can have some big old SoW type action, just on the Eastern Front!

Yes, navigation is where I'm struggling with this one. If I'm on my own in the air, there's very little to help me figure out where exactly I am unless I've been very very accurate with my plotting and compass and flying times. I try to use the rivers to figure it out mostly.
No.401_Wolverine

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 pm

No.401_Wolverine wrote:
EAF79_OD_ wrote:Finnish Vitrual Pilots certainly seems like the place to be 8-)

Yes, navigation is where I'm struggling with this one. If I'm on my own in the air, there's very little to help me figure out where exactly I am unless I've been very very accurate with my plotting and compass and flying times. I try to use the rivers to figure it out mostly.

Yes. Tricky but not impossible. You really need to keep on top of it and keep checking landmarks all the time. Where it all goes wrong though is when you have been flying with your squad and concentrating on keeping formation and checking for bandits so not really paying attention to where you are. If you then get into a fight you can find yourself very lost at the end :-)

I thought I was winning when I did a lot of flying in one area and began to recognise the landmarks and not need the map so much. Now the front lines have moved a long way and I am getting lost again. :roll:
56sqn US@R
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm

I think there are two main factors here:

• Featureless landscape. Forests and rivers are okay, but are far less distinctive as mountains or coastline. The terrain is totally flat. The snow makes it even worse, as it masks the rivers.
  • Unfamiliarity. We flew CloD for thousands of hours. The Eastern Front is new. Every place name is unpronounceable and every forest patch looks unidentifiable.

I believe there are navigation beacons, although I've not experimented with them. I also wonder whether the upcoming atmosphere/rendering fixes will help things (or make them even more challenging!).

Railways can be useful. They often lead to towns, which you can then check against the map to figure out where you are.

One thing that is pretty neat in BoX is the provision of flares. I don't think all aircraft have them, but some do. If you are out and about with your squad, you can use them as a beacon to signal to others. Of course, you own side will probably not see them, but every enemy will.

And that slowly moving front line makes things even more entertaining. I had to divert last night due to my airbase being captured.

But, indeed, if you get distracted for a bit you can suddenly become extremely lost.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm

To be fair, the first few times I flew from inland bases in the Battle Of France campaigns, places like Grandville & Montdidier, I struggled to navigate without coastline to look at. I have also got lost a few times flying South or West of London. It is a bit easier from 15,000ft but low down it can be quite hard.
56sqn US@R
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Next

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series