Storm of War Teamspeak

So... WWII Flight Sims . What the Fuck?

For introductions, orientation, and general aviation / simming chat

Re: So... WWII Flight Sims . What the Fuck?

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am

I think the DCS thing is being perpetuated by 2.5 not being ready yet. It all seems to be hinging on that. I bet once it is stable, instead of having two versions to get everything to work in, then models will get finished off.

It would be nice if they would just get on and finish 2.5 though!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 am

EAF79_OD_ wrote:I think the DCS thing is being perpetuated by 2.5 not being ready yet. It all seems to be hinging on that. I bet once it is stable, instead of having two versions to get everything to work in, then models will get finished off. It would be nice if they would just get on and finish 2.5 though!

Yeah, but they're going to make sales from the F18... so why put effort into a product that people have already paid for when they can throw out another unfinished module and suck in all the USDs.. /cynicsnotanonymous
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:28 am

Admin (Philstyle) wrote:Also true.
This is why the criticisms migrate away from the official forums to places like Reddit.. or SoW (for the few who still like to mope around here).
I know a few people who are, in fact, not interested in reporting bugs on the ED forums any more as a result of aggressive push-back from the mods there.

you can even be banned for criticizing ED work outside their forum apparently
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 am

No.54 dix (KL-X) wrote:
Admin (Philstyle) wrote:you can even be banned for criticizing ED work outside their forum apparently

Yes, I've heard this also.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 am

That's where those Stalin memes come in quite a lot on Facebook about going to the Gulag!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF19_Swoop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 pm

No matter what the sim, it all gets boring if you don't have a decent campaign to fly. Once you have such a focus, squadrons train, videos are made and virtual war stories are exaggerated

I don't think a ww2 DCS will be there for years.
Many are bored of Clod's current planes combined with AI issues and a working ground war, this sim desperately needs it's update. TF5.0 might solve that with a ground war going on and fixes to the AI especially. They should put real effort into their multiplayer campaign building and giving people tools to build these easily. We'll all be flying it when it comes out.
I'm really enjoying flying the SpitVb in VR in BOK, for me it runs better than DCS and after the last patch doesn't fly like a ROF plane anymore. AI is much better and Kuban is beautiful, flying through snow cap mountains and watching the waves roll up the beach in VR is stunning. Oh and cannons. The regular improvements keep me interested, it's focus on ww2, easier for new pilots are all strong points for Squadrons. We are running our own server now for training but I'm unsure how hard it to create a decent campaign which we crave.
EAF19_Swoop
SoW Supporter

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 pm

56 flew Box today and went to the Finnish Dynamic server. It is quite impressive. Lots of dogfighting and lots of ground targets.

The website http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/?tour=16 shows all the stats and the FAQ has recon pics of all the target factories & airfields plus there is a page showing the current state of the map i.e. what has been captured, where the front lines are etc.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am

That's a server we have used quite a lot, and really enjoyed it. Tactical Air War is meant to be good too, I believe (not tried it yet). You can drive the tanks in some BoX servers too...
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF19_Swoop » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks Roblex,we're flying BOK tonight soI'll try and dip in there for a look. I've been mainly flying offline campaigns with VR in bos. Hope to see tonight OD if feeling up to it.
EAF19_Swoop
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am

Interesting read from Klem over on ED forums:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=12

this is a reply to Klem from one of the ED forum mods:
My personal thoughts are take a break, and come back when you think ED have what you think is acceptable for your game style.

Blimey...I sincerely hope these are not ED's thoughts . . . basically, thanks for your money, but the product can't deliver, so maybe you should stop using it. It may deliver in the future, but when that happens cannot be said at this juncture. Refunds are not available in the interm.
Due to the absence of proper consumer legal protections, software developers are among the only producers capable of getting away with this kind of attitude. None of my other service or product suppliers would even entertain this kind of thinking - for both legal and reputational reasons.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Officers Mess