Storm of War Teamspeak

Storm of War Discord

For introductions, orientation, and general aviation / simming chat

Re: Storm of War Discord

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

@Dietrich: well i think nobody could ever think to move the forum and the stats on discord, that's not how it works. when i mentioned that the forum would suffer from it, it was because the discussion would take place there instead of the forum for most users, being it more direct and informal

the voice channels could be handy for a general purpose chatter, anything that doesn't require whispers really..
not sure if a user without the necessary permission could be dragged into a private room on discord either

and if SOW is going forward using DCS, one could use Discord to have all squad elements together in one channel and use SimpleRadio to talk to the other squads\GCI, which is probably what we're going to do anyway using TS3 i am afraid

but not enough people is using it in my opinion, most people flying online is using TS3 and it would easier for them to fly on sow and connect to sow ts

not sure why you would even think to create multiple accounts on discord tho, but hey everybody has its own way to do stuff... ^^"

I also dont understand what you mean by this: "Discord is a blend of social media (facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc.)"
from what i've seen discord is literally just like IRC (text chat used since the '90s) with a voice comms built within plus the ability to send pictures from desktop\web browser, what's there from fb\twitter\snapchat in it?

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Sounds like you just volunteered yourself to evaluate the options Dix. Congrats. :lol:

ops :lol:
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 pm

No.54 dix (KL-X) wrote:@Dietrich: well i think nobody could ever think to move the forum and the stats on discord, that's not how it works. when i mentioned that the forum would suffer from it, it was because the discussion would take place there instead of the forum for most users, being it more direct and informal

The advantage of the forum is that you have longer and (sometimes) more considered posts. There is also the tendency (although not required) to have a longer conversation, with resources and information. Discord lets you do that too, of course. But it is more "chatty" and if you are not online, then you are left behind in the conversation.

No.54 dix (KL-X) wrote:not sure why you would even think to create multiple accounts on discord tho, but hey everybody has its own way to do stuff... ^^"

The idea of multiple accounts is to keep the cross-talk down. If I'm flying DCS, then that's what I want to do, and I don't want notifications from the X-plane community while I'm doing it. As far as I can tell, you cannot selectively turn off notifications so you get the stuff that is relevant, but exclude the stuff that is not.

No.54 dix (KL-X) wrote:I also dont understand what you mean by this: "Discord is a blend of social media (facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc.)"

In comparison to TS, that is.

Discord lets you post images, has a "twitter-like" chat feed, as well as letting you maintain paged information and a profile. You can connect to it via a browser, app or mobile. You maintain friend/contact lists and use it as a general social interaction API. All of this is blended together to make transitions between them pretty seemless. All that (to my mind) is similar to social media. Then, it has VoIP too.

TS is basically VoIP. Yes, there is chat and file transfer, but it is not geared up for it and they are more a utility, rather than a mainstay of the product.

Discord is okay, don't get me wrong. But it is not a general replacement for everything. I see that this is not what you meant, so I think its just a bit of misunderstanding on my part, that's all.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:The advantage of the forum is that you have longer and (sometimes) more considered posts. There is also the tendency (although not required) to have a longer conversation, with resources and information. Discord lets you do that too, of course. But it is more "chatty" and if you are not online, then you are left behind in the conversation.

Yes I agree with you completely about the importance of the forum, and that is why i'm worried about a community chat taking over

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:
The idea of multiple accounts is to keep the cross-talk down. If I'm flying DCS, then that's what I want to do, and I don't want notifications from the X-plane community while I'm doing it. As far as I can tell, you cannot selectively turn off notifications so you get the stuff that is relevant, but exclude the stuff that is not.

if you click on the server name, on top of the chat channels list, and select "Notification Settings" you can mute notifications completely from a server, or just get a notification when you're mentioned. I get "@everyone" notifications only from a couple of servers, everything else is on a strict mention my name
unless you know this already...or want even more
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:
The reason for IVAO using TS2 is that it is a) stable, b) open and c) configurable. TS2 allows you to create a channel via an API, and you can control it remotely. So, what happens is that you tune your aircraft's VHF radio via the dials on the radio in the cockpit and the IVAO plugin creates the right channel on TS2 and moves you into it on-the-fly. This means you simulate a real radio comms system - which is pretty damn cool! Neither TS3 nor Discord have this capability.

So you are saying that TS2 would give you a similar functionality to Simple Radio? Here is a scenario:- in the Spitfire the four frequencies are pre-defined using the mission builder. If we used TS2 and the IVAI plugin in DCS does that mean that when we click button A (say it is 113.5) then a channel called 113.5 would be created in TS and everyone else pressing button A would go into it or does it only work when you tune the radio yourself in the cockpit (obviously impossible in the Spit)? Perhaps the IVAO plugin is not available to other users anyway.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:22 am

56RAF_Roblex wrote:So you are saying that TS2 would give you a similar functionality to Simple Radio?

Yes, as long as that Spitfire was flying in:
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 / X;
X-Plane 8 / 9 / 10 / 11; or
Prepar3D.

Their plug-in does not work with DCS.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm

You could do something with that in TS3 if you assigned a hotkey that matched the channel you were setting in DCS, so:
Press X and in DCS
X switches the radio to Channel A
in TS3
X switches to Channel A

Press Button Y in DCS and it switches to Channel B
in TS3
Y switches to Channel B

It shouldn't be too complicated.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:You could do something with that in TS3 if you assigned a hotkey that matched the channel you were setting in DCS, so:
Press X and in DCS
X switches the radio to Channel A
in TS3
X switches to Channel A

Press Button Y in DCS and it switches to Channel B
in TS3
Y switches to Channel B

It shouldn't be too complicated.

OR, we just use Simple Radio, in combinations with TS3.
1. Each squadron has it's own TS room for their own internal coms
2. All coms between squadrons, and to any controller happen via Simple Radio. It's already set up and it uses the radio switches in the aircraft cockpit, fully integrated with DCS already.

This way, ground controllers and squad leaders can finally remove all whisper channels from TS - something that was a nightmare to maintain.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm happy to do that, just the whole thing with TS2! (I don't want to go back to TS2!) I've not installed Simple Radio yet.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm not sure I get what roblex is asking. Seems like he wants exactly what SRS already does. Why do you need TS as well?
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:I'm not sure I get what roblex is asking. Seems like he wants exactly what SRS already does. Why do you need TS as well?

Chill! I was only asking about TS2 because I was surprised it did that and just curious about how it works :-)

I am assuming the other comment about not needing TS as well is unrelated because I have never spoken on the the subject. I would be happy if we used nothing but SRS in organised multi-squad missions though I understand many people would still prefer to use TS outside of the actual mission or for OOC comms during the mission. I do remember flying a mixed-squad mission where a member of the other squad who was unable to fly came in to our TS for a chat and a joke with his squad while we were busy and in that case it would have been much better if we had been using SRS for official comms and he was only chatting on his squads TS channel. Personally, I have SRS set up to use just the left speaker so I can tell what is coming from SRS and what is coming from TS.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Officers Mess