Storm of War Teamspeak

Using B17s

For Mission Editor, MOOSE, Lua, scripting and other technical chat

Using B17s

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Phil, I watched your first video in which you had some problems getting the B17s to work and coincidentally was having a go myself at the same time as you were doing the second livestream and saw it as soon as I had got mine working OK.

I did not have the problem you have with formations going the wrong way and the difference seems to be that I had the right hand formation as
Wing position LEADER,
Group Position RIGHT,
Box Position LEADER
Same idea with left formation.

They were both formed the same distance from the lead box as when you did it. If you select Wing Position Right it does place it further out. I cannot say that is why I had no problem but I put it out there.

Like you, I placed 88s in a couple of places along the route. The results seem quite random so you will be getting people cpmplaing one week that the 88s are too accurate and, without making any changes, the next week people will complain you have made them useless :-) I ran my test twice and the first time all 12 bombers passed the first set of 3 guns without losses but I lost one B17 passing the 3 88s on the airfield. The second time I lost two B17s over each trio of 88s. All guns were on the highest skill settings and the raid was at 22000ft

I also did a test with four AI Expert third reich spitfires attacking 12 Expert B17s and the first time they comfortably decimated all four spitfires and the second time 3 B17s were lost before the spits all died but that may be because I started the spits closer in and they were able to shoot down three very quickly before getting killed. If they had started further back maybe the gunners would have got them before they could start shooting at the bombers.

Incidentally, I saw on the forums that there was some debate on ED forums about how to set the 'Response To Threat' to make the gunners shoot without the bombers breaking formation so I set one formation to 'Passive Defence' One to 'No Response' and one to 'Horizontal movement to avoid Flak' (or something like that) All three formations fired at the fighters while remaining in formation. You did not set anything so it looks like the default works as well though the reason for the debate on the ED forums was that someone was complaining that his bombers scattered in all directions whenever they were attacked. I think he just had a box of 4, perhaps making the bombers members of a WW2 bomber formation etc stops them dodging?
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Re: Using B17s

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Actually, looking at the screenshot I took, maybe using Group Position RIGHT does make them form further apart than your method does. The default spacing is set at 800ft.

If it turns out that this method solves the problem with bombers flying the wrong way it is still possible to change the spacing to whatever you want.
56sqn US@R
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:48 pm

We got them sorted this evening:

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm

I saw you got it working, I was just saying that you still had issues with the other boxes spawning going the wrong way and the way I did it did not cause that problem. It could just be coincidence though :-) I did not try adding a fourth box at the rear. I will give it a go and also try your method, which does seem the obvious way to do it. I can't remember why I ended up using Group Position instead of Box Position. I know I tried several methods.
56sqn US@R
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Return to DCS Mission Building