Storm of War Teamspeak

DCS mod team

This sub-forum is for discussing and sharing mods

Re: DCS mod team

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Admin (Philstyle) wrote:Some data for future reference?

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/t ... _L2_3v.jpg

What are the possiblities for using a 3D scanner with respect to model building?
Could a plastic toy model be build and then scanned in 3D to use as a base template, upon which to built the 3D model in 3DS?

Yes, 3D scanning and 3D pseudo-tomographic photography can be used to generate 3D models. The problem is that they tend not to recognise symmetry, planarity and orthogonality. Additionally, the poly-counts can often be very high. Too high for a high-FPS sim.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Homuth » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm

The dev team of the Tu22m3 for DCS uses the 3D technology for reference, not 1:1 copy. Seems like it works very well. They scanned the cockpit in a similar way.
ImageImageImage
Homuth

Postby Barone » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:47 am

Having a good mod for DCS would be awsome. Unfortunately I don't know anything about 3d modelling only few things on repaints. But if an hand is needed happy to help.
If could be useful I could ask info to FTV about their model. I know one of them.
Click on the banner to visit our site:
Barone

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Useful (potentially) links

Very basic 3d Max tutorial for making a plane shape http://www.techtut.com/Tutorial/3D-stud ... model.html

http://www.military-meshes.com/forum/sh ... opper-quot
A Grasshopper model already done.

http://airplanes3d.net/index_e.html
Tutorial site
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:45 pm

OK, so you need to download Max 2014. That is the only version that the EDM supports as far as I can see.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:25 am

I was wondering...does this plane have guns at all? I know you want to start easy, but i don't think there's any plane in dcs that doesn't have guns on it, the c is for combat afterall, given the amount of work that will go into it, wouldn't it be better to choose a plane that would allow you to add some guns at a later stage and maybe have a chance to release the plane somehow? :?
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:57 am

Good point. Let's scrap that and do the F35....

Seriously, I'd rather cut my teeth with an achievable objective than aim for the moon and miss. There are a whole host of reasons why an unarmed plane is preferable. 1) less systems to model, 2) low performance should mean that FM considerations are easier and less controversial. We can after all only use the simple FM anyway, 3) the cockpit has like 5 dials. How many in a "modern" aircraft.

Let's face it, we could probably do a WW1 aircraft with similar aims but that is adding to the anachronistic planeset. This at least fits with the period map.

At the end of the day, this is simply a learning and proof of concept. Can WE:
make a 3d model.
texture it.
get it into the game.
make a cockpit 3d model and animate it etc.
Get that into game.
Make a FM.
Maybe make a radio and add that to the game.

IF and it is a big IF we can then we can look to apply that learning to another project, one with more complexity and purpose. Provided we haven't lost interest, died of exhaustion or ended up relying on a single person to do all the work.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh, I know I had just talked to you about the A4, but i wasn't meaning any of that
I was thinking more of a tiger moth\gladiator plane, but I didn't notice that the grasshopper has so few dials

what do you mean by "We can after all only use the simple FM anyway" ?
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Adding a Gladiator or TM would not really add to the theatre though do you think?. We are in 1943-45, so zero opposition for them and for the TM there's limited multi crew stuff in DCS and I very much doubt it is open to non vetted 3rd parties.

As I understand it, 3rd parties only have access to the "SFM" which will likely be above my maths/physics anyway (hello Dietrich!)....
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:42 pm

It's a fair comment from Dix though I also think that there are enough folks out there who would jump into the cub in a heartbeat .... no guns and no drama.
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to DCS Modding