Storm of War Teamspeak

DCS mod team

This sub-forum is for discussing and sharing mods

Re: DCS mod team

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 pm

I reckon we could use Blender for some things, and 3DSmax for the details/conversions. But, yes, we do need 3DSmax, which is why there are not many modders out there at the moment. On the other hand, it does filter the field a bit and ensures you'll only see mods from those who are pretty serious about it.

I'm investigating getting and academic licence for it (cheaper). I've got a reasonable amount of 3D modelling experience, so would be happy to work on that once I get hold of some software. Currently snowed under (literally) at work at the moment, so things are a bit slow getting started.

I intend to start with some experimentation and prototyping. Then we we figure out how much effort is involved, we can decide on what to do and formulate a project plan.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Well you can get a 30 day free trial, requires a credit card to register and if you cancel then you don't pay subscription. If we can do most of the basics in blender and then import to finish off in max for free, that seems a good idea. Educational licenses look free, but I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to get one, and I do know they watermark the object - whether that's an issue for dcs I don't know.

I know literally zilch about 3d modelling so am happy to let you take the lead and understand what is or isn't required/possible.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

I've found this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178430

maybe it is possible to test without using 3ds afterall :o
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby EAF602_Puff » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Just thinking out loud, how difficult would it be to do a map?? Korea is begging to be done, also Italy as well...would that be any harder than an aircraft module.
EAF602_Puff
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:27 pm

EAF602_Puff wrote:Just thinking out loud, how difficult would it be to do a map?? Korea is begging to be done, also Italy as well...would that be any harder than an aircraft module.

Well we do have two geographers and a physicist at close hand....
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 pm

EAF602_Puff wrote:Just thinking out loud, how difficult would it be to do a map?? Korea is begging to be done, also Italy as well...would that be any harder than an aircraft module.

Given that they have no tools whatsoever for map makers in the public arena and no one has even managed a 2x2m proof of concept I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's between impossible and whatever is slightly worse than impossible.

Besides, geography/topography is one thing, it is entirely another to then populate that area with 3d objects etc. I'd expect the road map of such a project without the SDK to be in the order of many years.

I think if we can get something viable and simple done first, there is the possibility of approaching ED for help. But until we can prove we can do something it's just words and vague ambition.

To be clear, I would expect the simple project to take us at least a year unless we get people who have some base knowledge interested.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm

As Reddog indicates there is a lack of utility tools and documentation at the moment. Tackling a map is a daunting task, although if it could be done by the community it would open up a LOT of possibilities. If there was a way of getting into this line of development, I would certainly be keen to assist.

However, as the "fly-about" we had last night demonstrated, it was possible to accomplish a fantastic session just on the default map.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF602_Puff » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Cheers guys, was just a thought :)
EAF602_Puff
SoW Supporter

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Belsimtek, the third party developer that brought us the F-86 and Mig-15 has the Korea map on its roadmap already, however they have to wait for the SDK which will be released to third parties. The SDK is not available to unregistered mod makers and the map tools will not be released until Normandy is completed and perhaps Georgia is converted to T5 for DCS 2.5.

Italy is not on anyone's roadmap as far as I know but will take years to get to for us.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

Some data for future reference?

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/t ... _L2_3v.jpg

What are the possiblities for using a 3D scanner with respect to model building?
Could a plastic toy model be build and then scanned in 3D to use as a base template, upon which to built the 3D model in 3DS?
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to DCS Modding