Storm of War Teamspeak

Kerbal Space Program: Pegasus XIV - To the Mün and Back

For posting updates and information on all sorts of other games.
Feel free to link you twitch or YouTube accounts here too.

Kerbal Space Program: Pegasus XIV - To the Mün and Back

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Seeing as we won the war (of course) I decided to spend my spare time taking the next logical step, of building my own space program (in Kerbal Space Program).

Here is a record of the flight of Pegasus XIV, the seventh and final manned münar landing undertaken by the United Kerbdom Space Program:

YouTube Link

(Took me bloody ages to make this! :lol: )
19RAF MJDixon

Re: Kerbal Space Program: Pegasus XIV - To the Mün and Back

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:14 am

nice production Dixon!
Music is well chosen :)
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks, you can probably tell that I chose the music first, and tried to get the clips to match, which is one reason it took so long to make, as I had to work out how to fit it all in. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

19RAF MJDixon wrote:Thanks, you can probably tell that I chose the music first, and tried to get the clips to match, which is one reason it took so long to make, as I had to work out how to fit it all in. :lol:

I also noticed the reference to "TopHat" control :)
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am

Great video.

19RAF MJDixon wrote:Seeing as we won the war (of course) ...

So... why do you call it "Mün", Herr Dixon?

It seems that post-SoW-4.0, the LW spelling reforms have been implemented for you.

Admin (Philstyle) wrote:I also noticed the reference to "TopHat" control :)

Given the success of the mission, it is obviously a different TopHat control to the one you're thinking of, Phil. :mrgreen:

My favourite was the in-flight manual in the recovery helicopter.

But why is the British flag green-white-and-blue? Is this a Brexit thing? What happened to England? Oh, wait... this is set post-SoW-4.0. England has been annexed by someone else. :twisted:

And what happened to Pegasus I through to Pegasus XIII ? :?

Your launch sequence reminded me of this: https://youtu.be/r4JsNetyS6M?t=6m43s

And the lunar landing of this: https://youtu.be/evtm39kvIsg?t=48s

You see, Herr Dixon... if you create a long video there are so many opportunities for facetious comments. :roll:

Still a great video though.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:Great video.

Taa.

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:So... why do you call it "Mün", Herr Dixon?

It's in respect to the classical Klatin spelling of course, used back in the ancient Kerbal times.

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:But why is the British flag green-white-and-blue? Is this a Brexit thing? What happened to England? Oh, wait... this is set post-SoW-4.0. England has been annexed by someone else. :twisted:

Either that or because Kerbals are green. :P

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:And what happened to Pegasus I through to Pegasus XIII ? :?

I'm glad you asked!

First there was the unmanned test of the Pegasus Class A Rocket and Command Module into Kerbin orbit:

Then Pegasus I was the first manned mission, with the same plan as the previous unmanned test:

Pegasus II was the first use of the Stage 1 Boosters:

And was also the first manned vessel to orbit the Mün and perform an EVA there:

Pegasus III and Pegasus IV were improvements to the previous design of the Launch Rocket and also testing of long-duration missions.

Pegasus V was the first launch with the Pegasus Class B Rocket, with enlarged Stage 1 Boosters:

It was also the first to launch with a Münar Module, in order to test the docking procedure:

Personally I think the Class B was the best looking of the Pegasus Rockets, but unfortunately wasn't wide enough to carry the Münar Roving Vehicle of the latter Pegasus Missions.

Pegasus VI was a test run of the Mün landing, flying to the Mün with the Münar Module and doing a practice dock in Münar orbit.

Pegasus VII was the first manned Münar landing, undertaken by Jebediah and Bob Kerman, who landed on Felix Ridge, Year 18, Day 369, whilst Bill Kerman remained in orbit:

(Burfen Kerman was a Koviet Kerbonaut who ran out of oxygen and died in orbit after the Koviet Union asked us to launch a rescue mission of his stranded capsule, but unfortunately we were too late. The crew of Scorpio XVII died when their parachutes failed on re-entry, presumably we used the same captured Kerman Scientist that designed your parachutes. :lol: )

Pegasus VIII was the second Münar landing, by Mike and Sheping Kerman, landing on the Burfen Sea, Year 19, Day 51 - whilst Podsby Kerman remained in orbit.

Pegasus IX, crewed by Lofel, Lenvey and Merney Kerman had an emergency when I accidentally pressed the staging button and detatched the Command Module from the Service Module, so they had to return using the Münar Module:

Still waiting for a Tom Kermanks film about that one...

Pegasus X was the third Münar landing, by Volwen and Roddos Kerman, landing on the Burfen Sea, Year 19, Day 320 - whilst Merney Kerman remained in orbit.

Pegasus XI was the fourth Münar landing, by Lofel and Lenvey Kerman, landing on the Midland Plains, Year 20, Day 259 - whilst Hudry Kerman remained in orbit. It was also the first use of the Münar Roving Vehicle and Pegasus Class C Heavy Rocket, with an enlarged fairing around the Münar Module and Service Module:

Pegasus XII was the fifth Münar landing, by Deszer and Lenvey Kerman, landing on Lofrod's Slide, Year 20, Day 309 - whilst Coring Kerman remained in orbit. It also switched to a reduced fairing that only covered the Münar Module, which was the same style used in Pegasus XIII and XIV:

And Pegasus XIII was the sixth Münar landing, by Mike and Lenvey Kerman, landing on Lenvey's Plain to take magnetic and temperature readings on the landing site, Year 21, Day 102 - whilst Lofrey Kerman remained in orbit.

Also I could've sworn you made a post last night asking some more questions, but it seems to have gone, but in response to some of those questions I may or may not have imagined, the Jet at the start is a Kerbomarine Stinger, which was originally designed as a rip off.. inspited by the MiG-15:

I then decided to install a nose mounted radar for improved missile guidance, and so replaced the air intake with two small intakes under the wings, which resulted in the Stinger Mk.II:

The engine performance wasn't very good on the Mk.II, however - and also the flight characteristics were a bit iffy, as such I decided to move the tail further back using a twin boom style, and placed larger air intakes at the front of each boom, so my MiG ended up looking more like a De Havilland:

The Stinger Mk. III went on to fight in the latter part of the Kerbean War, against North Kerbean KiGs:

As for the whole Nazi Moon... Kazi Mün base thing, the crew were also quite surprised not to see them, as you can see at 15:56. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:21 pm

19RAF MJDixon wrote:
Admin (Dietrich) wrote:And what happened to Pegasus I through to Pegasus XIII ? :?

I'm glad you asked!

Why do I get the feeling I walked right into your cleverly laid trap! :lol:

Still, that potted-history was pretty cool. Lots of neat images that sort of look iconic, in their own particular way.

But come on... something must have blown up at some point (or flown into a windmill) ?

19RAF MJDixon wrote:Also I could've sworn you made a post last night asking some more questions, but it seems to have gone, but in response to some of those questions I may or may not have imagined,

I thought I posted something too. Probably Phil and/or Reddog snuffed it out fearing the usual Dietrich-Dixon spat that ensues. :roll:
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:But come on... something must have blown up at some point (or flown into a windmill) ?

Well Scorpio XVII blew up when it hit the ground. :lol:

This happened to another of the Scorpio Rockets:

And this was one of the Pegasus Class B missions, but I forget which one:

Strangely the Rocket didn't blow up though, only the Launch Pad, so I got to re-use it. :lol:

At least the Launch Escape System works though.

The very first aircraft to crash, however, was the Kerbal Flyer:

Which was also the very first aircraft to take off. :lol:

19RAF MJDixon

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Got bored of waiting for DCS Harrier. :lol:

19RAF MJDixon

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm

My latest Kerbonautical contraption:

Not that anyone around here would have any interest in a flying boat... :P
19RAF MJDixon