Storm of War Teamspeak

PTU 2.6.0 test phase

Space junkies

PTU 2.6.0 test phase

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 am

Anyone into this?

I've not yet had a chance but interested to hear comments about it from anyone who has.

Joker
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Re: PTU 2.6.0 test phase

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 pm

I've tried it a few times so far, not enough to be sure of anything, but generally my thoughts are:

Ship changes - The ship speeds in combat mode have been reduced, my Gladius (which is a light fighter / interceptor) now does 160 m/s, which puts it in the same category as Spitfire Mk. Is and the like (the other space interceptor I like to fly of course :lol: ) - afterburner speed takes it up to 800 m/s though. I quite like the afterburner changes, as they boost you up to top speed and then you no longer use afterburner fuel if you maintain that heading at that speed, I'm not sure about the reduced combat speeds though as it seems a bit slow, plus it makes it harder to evade in my experience, so it's more about shields and weapon damage than manouvering ability, though saying that I haven't tried it against other players, as I'm not really interested in PvP until it's all done properly in the wider universe.

Star Marine - From a mechanics point of view Star Marine is good, things like the feel of the weapons, the movement, animations, effects, etc, however I think the game mode itself isn't that good (Star Marine being a small scale arena combat game like Arena Commander), especially if they're aiming for a more realistic/tactical experience, as at the moment people just respawn in a few seconds and run around the place at full speed spraying at eachother, plus there are gamey (or futuristic I suppose) features like enemy contact icons, that put a red triangle over enemy units, and show them on radar if other people see them, etc - but hopefully that's just for the 'arcade' Star Marine mode.

Time to kill is a bit up in the air, it takes quite a lot of centre mass hits to take someone down, but that depends on the type of armour, and head shots seem to take you out quickly enough (they do when I get shot at least!), plus Grenades seem to do the job. I imagine it will be hard for them to find a ballance between people being bullet sponges, and people being killed instantly, especially when you have things like long lasting characters and perma-death (but then I would say if you wanted a long and happy life you shouldn't have joined the UEE Marines!)

It should be good in universe though, if people are actually concerned about being killed - it's sort of like the difference between playing SoW and trying not to die, and playing something where you spawn mid-air 10 seconds away from a dogfight - entirely different play styles.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Here's some Star Marine footage I took from the latest PTU patch (2.6m) before my PC had a BSOD (to be fair though it's been doing that a lot recently).

You can see the 'bullet sponge' issue near the end, where we just stand there emptying into one another until one of us dies.

Also I think there's a medical pack or some such I could have used at the end, but I didn't know what key it was. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Cheer ... downloading now ..... Won't play it until after Xmas though ....

Merry Christmas
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF331_Stuntman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm playing 2.6 on and off if peeps are about and want to try out Star Marine or the new Pirate Swarm coop mode in Arena Commander.
"Alt for Norge! - All for Norway!" - King Haakon VII of Norway (1872-1957).
My Cliffs of Dover & flight sim movies
EAF331_Stuntman
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:01 pm

EAF331_Stuntman wrote:I'm playing 2.6 on and off if peeps are about and want to try out Star Marine or the new Pirate Swarm coop mode in Arena Commander.

Actually, I need to update mine.. then yes, I wouldn't mind teaming up.
If it's finally possible to co-ordinate PvP a bit better than it was late last year....
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF331_Stuntman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Well it's a bit better. Still a 20% chance of crash when starting a match or during the match. But at least it was decreased from 2.5's 60%.
EAF331_Stuntman
SoW Supporter

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Anything is an improvement on the original server joining mechanism, where the person hosting got a 10 or so character code everyone had to type in within a minute before a nuclear bomb exploded.*

These days the main issue with MP is the netcode for the 'Universe' mode and the game crashing for Star Marine.

*Either that or you had to start again, I forget.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby ATAG_Vortex » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 am

~S~

Stuntman, let me know when you are on next via WhatsApp and I'll team up with you.

I'm an absolute noob at that SC, so will need some guidance!
ATAG_Vortex
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF331_Stuntman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Okay I'll usually fly in the weekends as I'm too busy in the weekdays most of the time.

I'm also attending an org flight training session from 16.45-19.30 CET every Saturday, if you chaps want to join me and get quickly familiarised with the flight model together with a group. The training session consists of flight training and team vs team called "Squadron Battles" in Star Citizen.
EAF331_Stuntman
SoW Supporter

Next

Return to Star Citizen