Storm of War Teamspeak

DCS WW2 - Channel Map

DCS WW2 - Channel Map

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:41 pm

In addition to the Mariana Islands map, we are pleased to announce the first dedicated World War II map for DCS World that is created by Eagle Dynamics: The Channel map! This map will represent southeast England, the English Channel, and portions of the low countries and north eastern France. The map is built to support missions and campaigns between the late 1930s and 1945 with a new level of detail and realism not seen before in a DCS World map. Airfields of the map include:

Manston
Detling
Hawkinge
Lympne
Dunkirk Mardyck
Saint-Omer Longuenesse
Merville Calonne
Abbeville Drucat

It will also include detailed renditions of the cities, towns, road and rail network, forests, rivers, canals, communication lines, radar stations, of this important region during the Second World War.

DCS: The Channel Map will be available for pre-order with a 30% discount in early February 2020.

Reference (incl. screenshots) https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=233
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Re: DCS WW2 - Channel Map

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 pm

I've been musing on the new map. It strikes me as being the furball-zone from CloD: Manston to Calais-Marck. I am puzzled by the ED announcement and I don't really understand their decision. My only guess is that it is on the direct request of Nick Grey.

Anyway, I've been trying to think how it might possibly be made to work in a 1944/1945 context:

• Operation Steinbock (using only Ju88s, as there are no Do217 or He177)
  • Intercepting V-1s, but not anytime soon (ref)
  • Mosquito cross-channel raids pre-Normandy, against Schnellboote? Or something?
  • Training areas for Allied pilots before deploying to the continent?
  • Jabo hit-and-run raids against SE-England (e.g. similar to, but not quite, Operation Giesla)
  • Operation Undergo
  • Siege of Dunkirk (1944, not 1940, that is)
  • Maybe the map will extend to Antwerp?

I do about wonder the time era of the map too. It will be interesting to see if there are Atlantik-Wall fortifications on the map.

By the way, this map is no surprise. OD spotted this map back in 2018... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6908
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:33 am

F16s vs Christen Eagle IIs surely? It's the only logical matchup.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am

Maybe they have plans to introduce a whole swathe of early WW2 aircraft in one go and they've been keeping it secret the whole time! :lol:
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 am

Maybe. It's what I would do. A bunch of lower fidelity (ie doesn't have to have been wind tested and all documentation available etc) possibly even non/part clickable cockpits (gasp!) Models that are plausible enough in relation to each other would make a huge difference. But key for WW2 is the damage model and until that's released IMO it's all moot.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Return to DCS - Main Discussion