Storm of War Teamspeak

Friday June 29 -1930 UK local time - Georgian Invasion #2

Notice board for announcing upcoming events and specific squad nights

Re: Friday June 29 -1930 UK local time - Georgian Invasion #

Postby Campbell » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm

FlashheartEAF602 wrote:No idea how it works as a overlay in VR but will give it a try.

The overlay should work fine in VR, under controls inside SRS you can set your preferred buttons for PTT as well as keys to change between radio freq 1 2 & 3. You can also add a short cut key to toggle the overlay on and off. However you shouldn’t need the overlay, as long as your comms are on in plane with the correct frequency and you have a PTT set then it should work.
Campbell

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks again for the mission, bit of a rough time of it at the start but we sorted it out in the end. :)

Here are some screenshots from the second naval strike:

I guess your strike must have disabled it, Phil - as the guns went quiet after that.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby FlashheartEAF602 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am

Great fun last night trying to kill that beast - although those MiG-21s at the start managed to do serious damage to our first attack wave... Quite chuffed I managed to splash one in the Harrier (OD can vouch for my appalling Harrier ACM skills)

Had SRS running in background and it did seem to have picked up the server IP and connected - but none of radios seemed working.

Harrier Sidearm/gun bug too which was fairly annoying to pop up behind a ridge, get radar acquisition tone from the frigate, pull trigger to see/hear gun fire, press OBS buttons to try and sort it, while a couple of SAMs are streaking your way...

Thanks for hosting!
FlashheartEAF602

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am

I also had the sidearm/gun bug (just before failing to avoid the previously mentioned SAMs :P ), looking at the DCS forum it might be due to using the AA gun mode beforehand, which I did when that MiG-21 came along.

That MiG pilot should be made a Hero of the Soviet Union or something for all the trouble he caused. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby FlashheartEAF602 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 pm

That MiG pilot should be made a Hero of the Soviet Union or something for all the trouble he caused. :lol:

Was it just the one or a pair?

NB: Great pics of the admistring the coup de grace Mike, especially no6 with 12(!) bombs rippling off at once and 7 with the shockwave. I wonder if the splashes on pic 6 are the close-in weapons system firing at something else coming in from the side?

NNB: Anyone record this as a track?
FlashheartEAF602

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks. :)

I only saw the one MiG-21 on the track file/tacview, also seemingly it was a Syrian Air Force MiG-21, so Hero of the Republic I guess. :lol:

The splashes on the sixth screenshot are cannon impacts from Red, who flew a strafing run just before my bomb drop.

I think it should automatically make a track file for multiplayer sorties in Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer, unless it's an option you have to enable.

Here's my recording of the naval strike:

19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:41 pm

I enjoyed the flights, though it was clear I'd not flown for some time! There were a few moments of lag which saw aircraft yo-yoing around but apart from that all went quite well. Turns out you must remember to flip the FBW switch in the Mirage so that you don't manoeuvre too hard and cause your bombs to rip off! I was having problems with the Mirage RADAR though. It was picking up contacts but when I tried to lock them they would shift 20 odd miles away. Not sure what was causing that, I suspect it was a jammer somewhere along the line.

Was nice to use the Berloga cluster bombs on the secondary target though, I under-estimated how close I had grouped them though. I could've spaced them more and hit more targets. I'd happily fly the Mirage more often with company though, I'll use it for strikes as much as Air to Air.

Last thing. I couldn't spawn into the number 1 Harrier slot. It just gave me an external view of some FARPs; don't know why.

OD
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 am

As an aside, would it be possible to include the SA342M and SA342L model Gazelles? The L is ideal for taking on insurgent style activity and the M, with multicrew, may be able to get closer to some targets before firing and be able to hide while firing missiles at targets such as the Chinese Frigate - though what effect anti-tank HOT missiles will have on a big ship like that I don't know!

A light attack helicopter could add a new dimension to the missions and can help to attract a wider audience; they're also great fun to fly!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:may be able to get closer to some targets before firing and be able to hide while firing missiles at targets such as the Chinese Frigate - though what effect anti-tank HOT missiles will have on a big ship like that I don't know!

Shame you can't just stick a laser designator on the roof and paint stuff for the bombers (although apparently there's a script that allows that).
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:04 pm

You can see the IR beams sent out from the TGPs though, if they are set to BOTH on the A-10C then there is a laser and an IR beam, not sure which it is on the Harrier but I've seen it. So you can show Gazelle pilots where things are from quite a way off. Wrong kind of laser on the Gazelle though :(
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Previous

Return to Storm of War EVENTS