Storm of War Teamspeak

Combined Arms and missions

Notice board for announcing upcoming events and specific squad nights

Re: Combined Arms and missions

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 pm

I was sad to see that you can only fire Red, Green or Orange smoke as a ground unit, so we can't recreate that scene from A Bridge Too Far. :cry:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

71st_AH Rob (XR-R) wrote:control forces from the map - not recommended on a large public multiplayer server as it can cause lots of lag but good in a coop that is password protected. now if we can get Reddog to work on his slot blocking script and away from ArmA for a bit we could limit access to the Tactical Commander and Game Master slots and it would be much more useful.

So my plan probably isn't workable then, seeing as at the moment we can only control the units from the map? :cry:
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 am

No, it can be workable, just be aware that if some idiot gets in there, starts everything moving and buggers off you will need to do a restart of the server most likely. Much better if you have someone dedicated to that slot not moving out of it for the duration of the mission and doing GCI as well.

For a/c it seems to work well moving them from the map but moving large numbers of ground troops from the map causes the lag.

The other problem as I mentioned is having some random jump in your sides tactical commander slot, having a look at your deployment and then jumping into an a/c on the other side and telling everyone in that side on chat what your side is doing. The sooner as we can find a way to lock that slot the better.

Of course someone could always jump into the slot and change the target for your bomber formation as well which would be a surprise. As a positive if someone is there to do just that you could make it harder for the en interceptors, make the formation begin anti-flak manoeuvres, change to the alternate tgt if the cloud is to thick etc. And as long as you are only moving small numbers of units on the map no significant lag will be felt, but you need to test the limits in 2.1.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:23 am

I tried it with the B-17's yesterday, weirdly it only moves one out of formation and it thinks it's a Stuka...but it nearly hit the target! :lol:
It works well if you have a 'cab-rank' of AI fighter-bombers though. I was able to send P-51's to attack ground targets.

I think if we were running it as a server we'd need an agreed person to do what you're suggesting. Otherwise we'll face the problems you mention. It's not a bad thing to have though, and it can make the AI more engaging (litterally!).

It's a shame that it'll lag out the server with too much movning though. I'd like to run some tests to see how much movement screws things up. If, as mentioned before, Reddog or A.N Other was able to script something to only allow certain players into the Tactical Commander spot then that could be a solution (but I have no idea how that works or how hard it is!)

There's no WW2 Allied Artillery at the moment either, so we basically have a few tanks and not much else to play with for the time being, but I think it's something that would be good to see developed in future so that it is more workable for a campaign server.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Just seen my name in here.

Ok. When I get back from my holidays I will have some time on DCS scripting. Promise.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Just seen my name in here.
Ok. When I get back from my holidays I will have some time on DCS scripting. Promise.

Seriously, no hurry Reddog.
We're all just taking baby steps to with the ME and what not, so three' no expectation of sudden large progress.
2 weeks though.. make sure you have everything ready in 2 weeks.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Just seen my name in here.

Either that or i'm converting my server into an ArmA III server and you will all need to use the Canadian Army mod...
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Lol. Tell you what, it will be done before TF5 comes out. :lol:
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 am

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Lol. Tell you what, it will be done before TF5 comes out. :lol:

Fair enough.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Previous

Return to Storm of War EVENTS