Storm of War Teamspeak

Combined Arms and missions

Notice board for announcing upcoming events and specific squad nights

Combined Arms and missions

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 am

Hi all,
I've said to Phil that I'll work on some missions for him. However, before I get too far with some ideas I wondered how many people have Combined Arms and how interested you'd be in using it to control the destinations of AI ground units to complete certain tasks?

For example:
The Allies could task a column of Sherman Tanks to capture an enemy airfield and take it then fly in supplies to activate aircraft there. The victory conditions for a mission could then be the capture of certain points, which then loads a new mission.

It's not really close to what was possible in Cliffs Storm of War but it does add another dimension if both sides can control armour and artillery as well as fly their aircraft. It does also give an element of ground control to both sides. I'm looking at missions without strategic bombers always being the key activity, with objectives for both sides to complete.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Re: Combined Arms and missions

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 am

As an extra I am also adding the TF-51 Mustang for REcon duties - so that those who have not bought any modules are able to take part. I'll do something similar for the Luftwaffe, but there is no free aircraft - so I might make it the Fw190 from certain bases with no ability to arm it - if possible.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am

I don't have combined arms and am not sure how many do.
However, without C.A. folks could still join the missions to fly though right? So is anything lost by having it in the mission?

Would the hosting server need to have it also?
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 am

No, only a couple have to have it (one on each side). Basically it will allow those that do to control the ground units from the F-10 map and direct them to objectives, it can also be used to direct AI flights to attack ground targets or targets of opportunity. As well as that it can be used to control artillery to attack points on the map (in range) stuff like that.

With the modern vehicles they can be driven and fully controlled by a player, but this has not been enabled for the WW2 stuff, yet. Once it is then it will be possible to drive a Sherman/Cromwell/Tiger/Pather etc. and actually take part in the capture of bases etc.

The server doesn't have to run it, it's just a couple of boxes that need to be ticked in the Mission Editor to allow people to control the vehicles - I think. I've never really done it before as the situation hasn't arisen where I've needed to. This seemed like a potential opportunity to try it out. Nothing is lost by having it in the mission, but a lot could be gained as it makes the mission more fluid and dynamic if someone is controlling the movement of forces and it is not all along a prescribed route set by the creator of the mission.

OD
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 am

sounsd good.. why not give it a crack and see if anyone uses it
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 am

I have it but I haven't used it.

I'm sure you could put in a few controllable Challengers until the WW2 stuff is updated, I'm sure no one will notice. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:46 am

Ok, got it working. I can set it so that one player on each side is able to (or more if required). I've just moved, what was, a stationary column of Shermans from their starting position onto a road. You can set waypoints for them and set their Rules of Engagement etc.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

19RAF MJDixon wrote:I have it but I haven't used it.

I'm sure you could put in a few controllable Challengers until the WW2 stuff is updated, I'm sure no one will notice. :lol:

Would certainly make it a bit easier to take of the King Tiger! :?
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 am

It is, generally, the cheapest module for DCS. I think it will be a lot more interesting once it is working for WW2 Assets. Right now though I believe I can direct a flight of B-17's to change target and area bomb an airfield, for example, then follow it up with some tanks.

You can set in game rules about airfield captures, and play around with triggers. It's all getting a bit complex though so I'm going to need to do some testing to make sure that it all works as I'm hoping it does!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Combined Arms is a great addition, it can be used to:

Act as GCI for friendly forces

occupy and use AA guns (not as easy as CoD)

occupy and drive vehicles and if you are the lead veh in a unit you can deploy them from the 3D view

Occupy a veh and act as a Forward Controller, mark targets with smoke etc

control forces from the map - not recommended on a large public multiplayer server as it can cause lots of lag but good in a coop that is password protected. now if we can get Reddog to work on his slot blocking script and away from ArmA for a bit we could limit access to the Tactical Commander and Game Master slots and it would be much more useful.

I always include a Tactical Commander slot for both sides just in case, no harm but you may need to kick someone out of it if they start moving all the pieces on the map at the same time.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Next

Return to Storm of War EVENTS