Storm of War Teamspeak

No.504 Squadron (County of Nottingham) - Hello!

This forum is for Squadrons to promote themselves, share their achievements and their Videos etc. A healthy and Friendly rivalry is encouraged.

Re: No.504 Squadron (County of Nottingham) - Hello!

Postby No.504 Leifr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 am

Thought it might be worth someone's time... We have our own thread over on another forum, as that's where most of us have sprung forth from! Feel free to be in awe ( :lol: ) of Lowe's thread building (rapier17) and our lovely squadron chalk board!

No.504.
No.504 Leifr
SoW Supporter

Postby No.54 Philstyle (KL-P) » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 am

Very nice read.

We shall have to get your whole squad up to Biggin Hill some time for a fly-in.

All your Hurricanes with our spitfires, could be quite a sight. Something for the movie collection.
No.54 Philstyle (KL-P)

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Leifr,

Thanks for posting that. I appreciated the comments about the stats too being "too precise". This is something Phill and I spoke about at length as we were trying to figure out the logic, and we debated trying to do something like would have been historical, whereby each pilot submit a claim after RTB, submitting what he'd hit and when. This could then be cross referenced with the database, and also posted so other pilots could "verify". Unfortunately, it was waaaay too complicated to pull off for a general server. It would have worked beautifully for your RP group though. :(

On a general note about stats taking some of the comments from your thread, there's been a couple of cockups recently, and some things are becoming more obvious as time goes on.
- The "landed then shot down" messages in one of your lads sortie relates to the buggered up mission at the weekend, and by trying to launch the AI manually we removed the frontlines. This had the effect of making everyone essentially land at an enemy airfield. This is why it shows as being shot down. NORMALLY, this would not have shown, as RTB'ing prevents the attribution of a "kill".
- The captured by enemy ASR when in friendly or even worse inland territory is annoying, and is happening with some regularity. It's definitely to do with the "tile" of the map you're landing on, and unfortunately I cannot figure out a sensible way to deal with this at the moment except one extremely onerous and longwinded way. I will see if I can sort this out.
- I'm not sure what the "BS" deaths someone refers to are. Ideally we'd be perfect in our stats collection, but the game interface is such that we have to work around certain issues. I will look at instituting an "error deletion" procedure but it will require some trust and also a requirement not to fly again until the problem is resolved. I can unwind one issue, but unravelling two simultaneously just isn't worth the trouble.

I think at some point, possibly at the end of the year, we may reset the stats back to zero (Barring those who've attained greatness!) and start again from a fresh start once the issues are hopefully resolved. We're also looking at having potentially a second set of stats just for campaign missions. This depends on how we decide to proceed with the campaign/public direction.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby 92 Sqn. Strings » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

licked the chalk bored..... nice read and will have to track a few more of you blighters down for a fly
It might almost be poetic,
if poetry wasn't
the last resort of the bearded cricket hating sodomite
92 Sqn. Strings

Postby No.504 Leifr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Afternoon Reddog,

Please don't take too much of what is said in that thread on face-value. We, as a group, came to a generally agreed consensus on how we approach the use of the stat system on TeamSpeak. It's an ongoing discussion though and one that will probably continue for some time. In short; the use of the SoW stat system is OK for us, especially as an assessment to verify progress as a group and as individual pilots.
However, No.504 Lowe (rapier17) and I came to the conclusion that we wanted to provide an environment for pilots over on TaleWorlds (and whomever we pick up en route) where roleplay, dice-rolling and the submissions of AAR were encouraged. At the beginning of October we launched the barebone system of this in 'Battle of Stalingrad' as it was largely painless to set up for our pilots and ran well. Unfortunately it all went tits up literally the day after we made our thread public - 1C Studios went ape with their patches and it killed the game off for us.
Fortunately we are patient men (most of the time :P ) and decided to tackle this RP format in CLoD. It's been a right pain setting up folk with the game, you're both aware of the shitty quirks and niggly little bugs that plague this game. However I'm happy to say that it's been worth the effort and we're now very comfortable here.

In short; our use of AAR and an imprecise statistic system is almost universally for our own internal pleasure, we have no plans to beg or whine for you guys to fiddle around with what you've already got. As for the "BS" deaths that you read, I think you were most likely simply reading up on folk stating the numerous 'BS' ways as to how CLoD killed them and not a reflection on your statistical database - magical Stukas, 'boggy' airfields and suicidal Dorniers not withstanding. :lol:
No.504 Leifr
SoW Supporter

Postby No.504 Wellen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote: - I'm not sure what the "BS" deaths someone refers to are. Ideally we'd be perfect in our stats collection, but the game interface is such that we have to work around certain issues. I will look at instituting an "error deletion" procedure but it will require some trust and also a requirement not to fly again until the problem is resolved. I can unwind one issue, but unravelling two simultaneously just isn't worth the trouble.

No worries, the language may be harsh as I do not think many of us ever really expected someone in charge to see it ( :oops: ), but we all know the limitation of the engine and do not hold it against the fantastic service you're offering here. :)

BS deaths like:
Getting captured by German ASR in England.
Losing a pilot to the runway in Maidstone (hasn't happened but it was close).
Switching the seat in a Tigermoth with no other person there and getting counted as killed.
That one random bullet from nowhere that hits your pilot and you bleed out the second your a/c stops on the runway.
Getting rammed by AI 110s.
Being Vovolov and playing the game trying to get a streak going. :P

Like you said, engine limitations and also a healthy dose of bad luck at times.

/edit
What Jim said.
No.504 Wellen
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Cheers guys. Please note I'd not inferred any criticism by you of SoW, and there wasn't meant to be any criticism of No. 504 in reply. Written word and all that. :D :D

There's nothing more annoying than losing a streak because of a CLODism.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby No.504 Monty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:54 am

Also, one of the BS deaths was when I had a second controller plugged in and knocked it off the desk by accident. So more own stupidity even rather than CloDisms in that case. But yeah, drowning on dry land and the other things mentioned above are what it was also referring to, so no worries on your part :)
No.504 Monty

Postby =AD= B777R » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Thnx for nice fight yesterday over channel south from Selsey. Was full of emotions )
=AD= B777R

Postby No.504 Leifr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi pal, sorry for the late response.
It was a pleasure, of course, and a ruddy difficult scrap too!

See you in the skies.
S!
No.504 Leifr
SoW Supporter

Previous

Return to Open Squadrons Forums