Storm of War Teamspeak

Merlin low-G engine cut

A place for historical and contemporary reference information

Merlin low-G engine cut

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 pm

I#ve been looking, for a very lng time, for examples of Spitfires and Hurricanes doing low-G maneuvers which result in the fuel-flooding and cut out that is so famours (and so controversial among flioght simmers!)

So far, this is the only exampe I have been able to find:
https://youtu.be/02SlNSrT15o?t=4m34s
Unfortunately it doesn't really halp with any of the debates, namely, how long would a cutout last for, and what would it's effects on airspeed be.

I'd love to find a example of an ealry spifire or hurri doing a nose-down bunt.. that wuold settle the debate I think...
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: Merlin low-G engine cut

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:14 pm

I always figured that the Hurricane in the opening scene of the Battle of Britain film had a low-G cutout when it does a victory roll, in much the same fashion as the Spitfire you posted.

Granted it doesn't help either, plus it's a film so it might all be edited anyway. :P
Last edited by 19RAF MJDixon on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Watch the start of the BoB film, I'm sure when he does the 'victory roll' above the refugees you get the same sound and streaks of smoke. :D

EDIT: Dixon found it first! Damn the crappy temporary internet connection in the new office!
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:26 pm

It's well known that a photographic memory of Battle of Britain is a crucial part of being a Battle of Britain Flight Simmer. :P
19RAF MJDixon

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 pm

19RAF MJDixon wrote:It's well known that a photographic memory of Battle of Britain is a crutial part of being a Battle of Britain Flight Simmer. :P

Indeed, and you had to remind Phil...hmmmmm... :lol:
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:38 am

I avoided referencign the BoB film scene becasue we have no idea if the audio was recorded live, or dubbed over in the studio post production. Turn the audio off, and then see if that scene provides any useful data. Apatr from the small puff of black smoke, it has little to offer.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:24 am

Only teasing Phil ;) It does chuck out the puffs of smoke as in the other one so I would have thought it was real, it would seem like too much effort to go to to falsely recreate it.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Return to Officer's Library